Character Counts - Click below to view the Six Pillars
Want to help Spread Kindness?
We are promoting school-wide understanding of our SOS Elementary School Behavior Goals. Our students pledge to show respect for SELF, OTHERS, and SCHOOL. This means, we promise to. . .
- Treat others the way we want to be treated
- Accept and honor differences in others
- Use words and actions to help (not hurt) others
- No name calling, bullying, gossiping, or teasing
- Take responsibility for words or actions (that may have hurt someone)
- Follow the rules of the classroom and the school
- Try our best when listening and learning
- Understand that Choices = Consequences
School counselors are part of the team dedicated to success; success for children in
school and in life.
Conflict Resolution Skills
Ms. Larger has been working with the 4th and 5th graders to increase the use of positive respectful speech with "I-messages" and the "B.E.S.T." Acrostic and how to apply them when there are problems in class and at home.
Here are some examples:
1. I Messages:
I think..., I want..., I feel..., I need help with..., and, I need you to...
2. "B.E.S.T." Acrostic:
from Emotionally Intelligent Parenting by Dr. M. Elias
B...body language, body posture
S...speech: what you say
T...tone: how you say it
3. Feelings Identification
How are you feeling about the problem?
How do you think the other person feels?
How have you felt if you were ever in a similar situation?
4. Empathy Training
Lunchtime Friendship Groups
Lunchtime Friendship Groups are held throughout the year to
build positive communication and self esteem with peer groups.