ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
All students who walk to school or who are dropped off may not arrive at school until after 8:45 AM. Students may be dropped off in the designated areas of the parking lot (click on the link above to see the diagram). Please note that these areas are for drop off only. Cars are prohibited from parking in these areas as well as the bus lane. When dropping your child off, we ask that you pull up as far as possible along the curb, so that others may pull forward to drop off their child(ren) as well (do not stop directly in front of the door, please pull all the way forward to avoid any traffic backup). If you need to exit your vehicle, please park in a designated parking space. Also, please pay close attention to the arrows that have been painted in the lot directing the flow of traffic (especially during high traffic times). *The blue arrows included on the diagram should help you better visualize the correct flow of traffic.
Upon their arrival, all students immediately assemble in their class lines on the blacktop areas (K-2 students by door # 3 and 3-5 students by door # 2). Members of the school staff will be located at each door to supervise the students (at 8:45 AM) as they line up and enter the building.
At the end of the school day, walkers (and students who are picked up) are dismissed from the same doors as they entered in the morning (K-2 students by door # 3 and 3-5 students by door # 2). If you are picking up your child, please adhere to the same guidelines as indicated for drop off (click on the link above to see the diagram). If you are simply picking up your child and will not be getting out of your car, please pull all the way up along the curbside and wait for your child in your car (do not block the walking lane and please be careful when pulling out). If you need to exit your vehicle to pick up your child, please park in a designated parking spot. Keep in mind that there is additional parking on Winfield Avenue. Consider parking there and walking along the path to pick up your child in the afternoon; especially if you will be staying with your child by the playground area after dismissal. Also, please pay close attention to the arrows that have been painted in the lot directing the flow of traffic (especially during high traffic times). *The blue arrows included on the diagram should help you better visualize the correct flow of traffic.
Any student who has not been picked up by 3:30 PM will be escorted to the Main Office to wait to be picked up by a parent/guardian.
Be sure to fill out the Dismissal Form indicating the proper method of dismissal for your child. Also, remember to notify the school in writing if your child’s dismissal routine changes during the course of the school year. If you have a child in grades 3-5 and a younger sibling in grades K-2, you may write a note giving your older child permission to pick up his or her younger sibling from the teacher in the hallway then exit together through Door # 2. This will allow you to simply pull up through the pick-up lane and get your children, thus avoiding the need to park in a space. Please consider the maturity level of your children when determining if this is a feasible option for you.
Bus students assemble in and are dismissed from the all-purpose room; exiting the building through the main doors.
Other Safety Reminders:
- Walking Lanes have been painted on the parking lot (on the diagram they are identified as green lines with smiley faces). Please walk with your child inside these lanes as you are moving through the parking lot. This will help ensure that everyone is safe when walking to or from the car. Drivers, please yield to those individuals as they cross the parking lot to the school building or to their cars at the end of the day.
- Do not let your child(ren) walk through the parking lot during arrival or dismissal unaccompanied by you or some other adult.
- Drive slowly and anticipate that a child may be walking through the parking lot.
- The children are not permitted to play 4-Square, basketball, or any other games in the parking lot area during arrival or dismissal time.
- In the event that snow piles build up around the parking lot, do not allow your child to climb up on them.
- If your child is staying on school property after school hours to play on the playground or on the field, he or she must be supervised by the adult responsible for picking him or her up.
Please remind your child (in grades 3-5) that he or she must stand by the wall, near the RMS staff member located by Door # 2, while waiting for you to pick him or her up at dismissal. Students are not permitted to play on the equipment until they are picked up by an adult.